Saturday, September 8, 2018

the Grace in my mess

do i appear to you
as one who
has it all together?
do i strike you
as one who
has it all figured out?

don’t let appearances
deceive you.

i have doubts and fears,
insecurity won’t seem
to leave me alone.
i have hurts
i like to nurse.
i envy and scrape
for fame.
i worry and obsess
over things i cannot control.
i have enemies i want to remain so.
i have an image i want to project
and i have pride i want to protect.
i have days when all i want is to be left alone
and other days when all i want is to be noticed.
confusion grips me.
i get anxious about work and family,
friends and retirement.

this is why i need Grace.
Grace is the strength i don’t have,
the peace that won’t leave.
Grace protects me
from myself.
Grace forgives me, heals me
and reveals to me
that nothing
absolutely nothing
can make God stop loving me,
caring for me,
guiding and abiding with me,
seeing me, singing over me,
dancing and inviting,
embracing and facing me.

Grace is the reason
when i’m irrational,
the season’s change
after a dark, strange winter.
Grace holds me together
when i’m falling apart.
Grace binds the wounds
that cut deep into my heart.
Grace introduces me
to my own humanity
and bids me make peace
with my own limitation.

do i seem to you
as one who
has it all together?
look deeper.
see the Grace
in all my mess.



……………


the Grace in my mess
by troy cady






No comments: