Monday, October 30, 2006

a beam of light

These have been days of praise. We have seen God answering many prayers and we would be remiss if we did not express to Him our gratitude for all that He has done.

So today, for staff meeting, we got together to just praise God for His amazing works. And there is much to praise Him for.

After we took a good amount of time in singing together, Kelly suggested we lay hands on each other and spend some time praying together.

I found myself not so much “praying” (i.e., “asking”), as I did “praising” (i.e., “thanking”).

As we laid hands on each other, I thought about how much God has done over the months and years.

I reflected on what a blessing it has been getting to know Amy over this past year and what a privilege it has been working alongside her for the kingdom. As I thought of all this, and the wonder of God at work in her life, I shed soft tears of joy, unable to comprehend just how good God is to all of us.

Then, it was Kelly’s turn, and I cried some more. My mind ran back some years to the first time I met her, and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of amazement at what God has done in her life and through her life. She’s “ruined for Jesus”. There’s no other way to put it, really.

Later, as I prayed for my wife, I found myself thanking God again, amazed at the woman she is today. I thought back to when we first met (in 1988!) and “compared” that to who she is now and I thanked God that over the years He has led her to increasing levels of freedom in His grace. In fact, sometimes I joke about how “scary” it is to see her so free in her relationship with God. But, seriously…I am so grateful to God for granting her this new freedom. It is awesome to see and so beautiful.

And, of course, I was put in the “hot seat”, too. It was just so great to have this little quirky team pray for me. When I sat down, they all laid hands on me by swatting and punching and pushing me and then they joked that, as I was the only guy on the team that was present, I should expect that kind of treatment from them. With laughter out of the way, they got down to the business of praying. And, as I bowed my head, the light from the sun came in through the glass doorway in our living room. And a beam of white reflected off the floor right onto my face. As I sat there, surrounded by their prayers and love, I thought of moving so the light would not be in my eyes. But, I thought better of it, and remained, happy to have my face bathed in sunshine.

“Amens” were pronounced and, at the end of our time together, I arose, warmer, my heart glad, my spirit dancing, full of God’s goodness.

No comments: