Saturday, November 25, 2006

holidays

For you, my love.

Holidays
by Troy Cady

Yesterday
we painted
our textured wall
together
a stronger
color;
brighter blood,
carefully trimming
and boldly rolling.

And today
you and we are
unfaded
solid.

Yesterday was
Thanksgiving
and tomorrow comes Advent
and you are in between.

Yesterday I gave thanks for you,
and feasted on the passing of
a hard winter
and the coming of
a harvest singer.
And you have fed me.

And tomorrow I’ll remember once again
that you are God’s gift,
sent to save me;
a star to guide me;
and I am a shepherd,
leaping in fits
and singing off-key
at having found and first
caught sight of you.

And, yes,
this is why your birthday
falls on or between
thanks
and
giving.

Because, yes,
the day you came into this world
was a holiday.

In fact, you may have been
conceived
on Valentines Day,
about nine months earlier.

I would not doubt it,
since, in you,
I see love
and red
and heart.

And so it makes sense that
yesterday
we covered our
contoured life
fresher
with crimson
and today
we sit in front of
a mile wide smile.

I welcome
this new day,
this holiday,
this birth
day,
but I cannot give
anything,
because
you are the gift.

No comments: