Tuesday, April 1, 2008

turning the other cheek

There is a boy that I will call Toby that goes to Numont, Meaghan and Nic’s school. Toby is in Nic’s class and he pretty consistently bullies other kids, including my son.

The other day, Nic reported to us that Toby behaved well in class and for that Nic was going to give him a present the next day as a reward for Toby’s respectful behavior.

As we walked home and Nic told me this, I just thought “uh huh, sure son,” doubting that he was actually going to give Toby a present. When I got home, Nic proved me wrong.

Not only did he prepare a special gift for Toby but he also wrote him a nice card and even packaged it in a cool gift bag with dogs on it.

The next day, Nic proudly carried his present to school, resolved to thank Toby for his unusually kind behavior.

After school that day, Nic was beaming. He told me he had given his gift to Toby and that Toby actually said “Thank you” and that Toby liked it and…

I thought, “Wow. That was so great.”

…………………………………………………..

Yesterday, Nic came home, beaming again. He had something special to show us. It was a gift, given him by one of the school’s teachers. Turns out, she was so impressed with Nic’s kind gesture she wanted to reward him with a gift herself. It’s a dog book (right up Nic’s alley) with space for him to write notes and keep track of friends’ contact details and etc.

Last night, Nic already put a couple entries in it. He was justly proud to have his special prize.

I just smiled and shook my head, amazed at my son’s kind heart and innocent spirit, thankful that folks at school notice a difference in him.

……………………………………………………

Jesus said, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.” (Matthew 5)

Heather and I have talked to Nic about a Christ-like response to Toby’s bullying and it may be that he picked up his unworldly response from something we said to him, but there is something else in me that believes Nic just knew what to do simply because of Christ’s Spirit moving in his young, tender heart.

Nic, my big man, I see Jesus in you and I’m so proud of you. You show me what it means to follow our Master. Thank you.


No comments: