Friday, October 3, 2008

Jesus is mine

Today is my birthday. The greatest gifts have already been given to me and I can honestly say I need no others. They are: God’s gift to me in Christ, Heather, Meaghan and Nicolas.

My first prayer at 6:05 this morning was a response to God’s lavish gifts of grace. It was, in a sense, my gift back to God. Today my prayer was: “Lord, I give you this next year. I want to live it for you.”

Later, I walked the kids to the metro, gladdened in spirit. Meaghan held my hand and smiled. Nic held the door and said, “Ladies first.” I returned home, joyful. God put a song in my heart. It was a hymn written by a blind woman named Fanny J. Crosby in 1873. Washing dishes, I hummed:

“Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

“This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

“Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

“This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.”

Thank you, Jesus, that you are mine. My prayer today is that I will be yours.

No comments: