Thursday, June 25, 2009

this took my breath away

I read my good friend Brian Newman's blog fairly regularly. He always has good things to say. I checked out his blog today because of a title I saw in my feed. The title was: 1 BILLION Hungry People.

Brian says: "Last week the United Nations reported that the ranks of the world's hungry grew to greater than 1 billion (that's billion with a B) for the first time in history. That means that one out of every seven people in this world are chronically under-nourished."

The post was accompanied by this picture:



I finished the article and happened to see the title of Brian's previous post. It was this: 1 Million iPhones sold!

I feel no compulsion to explain the iPhone article to you, nor will I dignify the Apple company by posting a picture of their new product here. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the iPhone will help many people but somehow putting a picture of an iPhone here would cheapen the imago Dei portrayed above.

I don't know if Brian intended it, but I'm posting this here today because the juxtaposition of the two titles on Brian's blog struck me.

It staggers comprehension: 1 Million iPhones sold in a world with 1 Billion people starving to death.

How can this be? What has become of us?

No comments: