Friday, January 29, 2010

simple people

Simple People
a poem of sorts by Troy Cady

Let’s start a Facebook group called “Simple People”.

On second thought, let’s don’t,
because simple people really exist
and they don’t want to be marketed.

Don’t call them a “tribe” either
because that has become trendy
and they are just simple people.
Fashion doesn’t suit them.

Sociologists: don’t speculate whether they
have become “a movement”.

They write poetry that doesn’t rhyme.

Simple people don’t get comments on their blog
(in fact, they don’t even have a blog
and some of them don’t even know what a blog is).
They are not reading this.

They haven’t read the latest books, either.
They might not have an email address, gasp.

God sees these simple people
and they are wise to grace.
That, I figger, is good enuff.
Just let them be.

…………………………………………

Jesus never wrote a book.
He threw parties at his home.
Yes, he probably had a home,
though he said something once
about not having a home
which makes me wonder:
why does it seem to me that Jesus was always speaking truth by telling lies?
(Does this question trouble you? If so, I’m not sorry,
because, the truth is, Jesus juiced meaning all the time.)

And I wonder why we focus on the lies he told
rather than the truth that lies behind the lie?

Jesus loved his neighbor (named Steve)
that trained his dog (named Chief)
to defecate on Jesus’ front step
every predawn morning.

Jesus never wrote a book.
He loved.
He can teach us to love.
We’re still talking about him.

……………………………………………..

Christian authors Neil Cole and Ed Stetzer had a little tiff once
in the comments section of a blog.
Neil said this and Alka Steltzer said that, correcting Cole Slaw.
Neil apologized.

Sort of.
(They both cussed at each other with polite phrases.)
I was interested in what they were discussing up to that point
but in the end I just sighed
and closed the browser
without bookmarking the page

because

if we can’t learn to love
what difference does it make
if we’ve become “a movement” or not?

…………………………………………

On Second Thought,
I Hope Unlove
Doesn’t Spread.
Quarantine It.

because

there are simple people
who just want
to make love
to the unpublished God in their hearts.

Are you one of them?
If so, don’t tell everyone
because someone will surely try to put it behind bars
on a tshirt or a bumper sticker.

……………………………………………..

I can’t see all of Jesus at one time.
Am I guilty of idolatry for still wanting to look,
still wanting to try,
still thinking I can,
and still thinking I have?

Oops, I did it again.
I hope Jesus’ grace doesn’t run out.
Does it?
I’m not sure, because the way you’re looking at me right now
makes me think it does.

Is Jesus mediated nowadays?
If so, God save us from ourselves.

…………………………………………………

There are simple people
who aren’t cool
(even in their uncoolness, which is the new “cool”).

Children are simple people.
Jesus said to become like a child.
(You ever notice how Jesus employs similitude
to say things he means literally?)
“Great--” thinks I, “the one thing Jesus asks me to do is the one thing I can’t.”

I confess I’ve grown up.
Can I learn to play again,
unafraid,
without worrying that
I’m not doing it the right way,
(knowing that the only wrong way to play is
when you worry that you’re not doing it the right way.)

Did Jesus play?
Are vicars allowed to ask such questions?
Maybe, until we learn to play with questions,
we should be forbidden to opine.
If we can’t learn to love, nothing we say answers anything
anyway.

Maybe only simple people, children, should be allowed to give answers.
Maybe they can teach us that it’s okay to play again.
Maybe our biggest sin is that we stopped playing.

Jesus, answer my question with another one of your prickly questions, please.
Help me play
with love and unconditional acceptance.

No comments: