Thursday, October 21, 2010

buechner on vocation

Some friends sent me this quote by Frederick Buechner that speaks to the issue of vocation. I thought these words were spot on and I wanted to share them with you. I'm not sure of the exact citation, but my friend read this in a book he's reading by Buechner. At any rate, here it is:

"There are all different kinds of voices calling you to all different kinds of work, and the problem is to find out which is the voice of God rather than society, say, or the Super-ego, or the Self-Interest. By and large a good rule for finding out this. The kind of work God usually calls you to is the kind of work (a) that you most need to do and (b) that the world most needs to have done...The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

I couldn't have put it any better myself!

No comments: