Tuesday, October 26, 2010

don't forget the fun

"I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness." - Alicia Silverstone, Actress

I received that quote in my email inbox this morning and it made me laugh. Then, it made me think how often we take ourselves so seriously we take the fun out of things that should normally be just plain simple fun.

Even comedy can be taken too seriously, as the above quote demonstrates. I know, because ministry can be like comedy more than one may realize.

Tonight I had the chance to dream a bit with a gal who’s doing some really refreshing things through the church she’s started called Communitas. It was nice to talk with Dianna about ministry in such a way that the joy did not get lost. Ministry, done right, should have an element of fun in it--but many times that element gets lost. Thanks, Dianna, for having fun with what you’re doing. And never, never lose that joy, because it is that very joy that will infect others.

No comments: