Monday, December 13, 2010

God got pregnant

Meaghan’s eyes were large and glowing yesterday afternoon.

She sidled up to me with a pregnant smile and asked, “Do you know what today is?”

My mind searched and searched. December 12. Hm. Nothing comes to mind.

I switched gears.

Sunday. Hm. Nothing.

Okay, let’s see: Third Sunday of advent. Yes, a Sunday of joy but that does not explain why her face was lit up like a rocket ship on the verge of taking off.

She just kept smiling, waiting patiently while I wracked my brain.

I asked her what it was.

“It’s my birthday!”

I looked at her quizzically. Her birthday is in February.

She could see I was confused so she explained: “You know, spiritually. One year ago today I was baptized.”

I smiled and remembered that day. I had likened baptism to contractions. God got pregnant and went into labor.

After a long period of gestation, God had birthed something beautiful that day.

What a beautiful thing for Meaghan to remember. She has no recollection of her first birth, but she does her second. I suppose that’s what matters most. I’m glad Heather and I got to be there for both.

What a beautiful, beautiful child.

God bless the day you were born, Meaghan. I love you.

1 comment:

Benjamin Anderson said...

That was great day. I am glad I could be there for that. That was my last service at Oasis.