Friday, February 18, 2011

mornings with meg and nic

Most days I am around when Meaghan and Nic get up and get ready for school. Today I am away, however, so I am thinking of them and reflecting on our morning routine.

Just before I walk them to school we gather together in the living room to read a small portion of Scripture, talk about it and pray. I look forward to this time together not just because I know it is good for them, but also because I know it is good for me. I have discovered lately that our time together provides occasion for good reminders of what really matters.

In our morning interaction, we are reminded of simple things like:

God loves you no matter what.
We don’t need to hide.
We don't need to worry or doubt that God will provide for us.
When you are in distress, cry out to God.
If you don’t know how to do something, ask God to help you.
We should love others and be a good friend.
We should never give up. If you fail, get back up and try again. Persevere.
Generosity proves a blessing to others and to yourself.
It’s okay to be sad; God will comfort you.
Do your best at whatever lay before you as if you are doing it for God.
It is good to pray for others who are in need and to think how we can help them.
Jesus forgives.

Our lives are built on solid truths such as these. My morning time with Meaghan and Nic has called to my attention how often I take such things for granted. Today, thank God, I can remember.

No comments: