Sunday, July 17, 2011

wonder, rest and love

As we put on our pajamas and prepared for rest, the night sky flashed with lightning. At first I thought it was just a car with its headlights rolling by our room, but then another flash caught my eye and another and another.

I remarked on the coming storm to my son. His eyes lit up with delight.

He pulled the sheets and curled up, contented. He looked out the window silently, joyfully, his face rapt in wonder.

Gradually, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

I awoke some hours later. The storm had worsened.

The boy was still asleep.

The long bus ride home the following day provided hours to think about what we were looking forward to most.

Nic said: “I just can’t wait to see Mom and hold her in my arms for a long, long time.”

Those who love well, rest well.

No comments: