Wednesday, August 17, 2011

laundry by quarters and dishes by hand

In our early years we did laundry by quarters and dishes by hand, together. Yes, together. We have been together almost twenty-three years now, married for twenty to the day.

Two days ago I arose at 5 to pray. You were on my heart and lips. Though I knelt alone, I was not alone. Our Father was with us and you were asleep in our room. I lifted you up to God and prayed joy over you for you have given me joy. After praying, I opened the curtains to greet the light. We have old windows now and through the unbroken panes I saw the moon at dawn, full and pale, right in view. It took my breath away. I did not expect to see your face in the sky.

I turned, walked over the creaky floors to our room and kissed you gently awake, thankful.

Some time ago, a young co-worker leered at a woman passing by. He asked me: if I could have any woman at our store, which one would I have.

I replied that I was married.

He said that didn’t matter.

I said it did.

He asked me how many women had I had in my life…

You are the only one for me, darling. I would not have it any other way.

A little over a month ago we moved in to a new apartment. We do laundry by quarters and dishes by hand again. And I would not have it any other way--because it means we’re together still, like our new old windows, unbroken.

No comments: