Wednesday, February 15, 2012

a prayer for hard times

Sometimes we fall on hard times. Sometimes there is little to lift our spirits. I have been through such times, too.

In times like that, I need a prayer. In fact, prayer is all I have left in times like that.

So, over the years, I've made it a habit to speak forth some prayers that come from an old Celtic tradition. I've found one particular prayer in this litany meaningful because it reminds me I'm not alone in feeling alone--that trials, poverty of spirit, feelings of weakness are normal, human, universal. It's a prayer that puts faith into perspective, defining trust as something that makes more sense when there's every reason to doubt. It puts light in the context of darkness and reminds me, "Redemption is at hand. There is cause to believe when everything around says, 'Stop believing.'" It is a prayer that incites the will to do as the psalmist says: "Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." Perhaps this prayer can be a help to you, too.

Lord, You have always given
bread for the coming day;
and though I am poor,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always given
strength for the coming day;
and though I am weak,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always given
peace for the coming day;
and though of anxious heart,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always kept
me safe in trials;
and now, tried as I am,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always marked
the road for the coming day;
and though it may be hidden,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always lightened
this darkness of mine;
and though the night is here,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always spoken
when time was ripe;
and though you be silent now,
today I believe.

You can find this prayer and more prayers like it at http://northumbriacommunity.org/pray-the-daily-office/evening-prayer

I've gone through seasons where I'll recite this prayer every night. It's amazing how God becomes my refuge when I do. I invite you to do likewise.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Troy for a post well worth sharing. I'll keep it bookmarked to send to those in my circle who could use this encouragement.