Sunday, November 12, 2017

blessed are those who listen

Blessed are those who hear as God hears.
Blessed are those who hear the weeping of broken hearts,
the groans of loneliness,
and the grief of loss.
Blessed are those who hear the pleas of the helpless,
the requests of the poor,
the outcry of the harassed and violated.
Blessed are those who listen closely to creation coughing
and heed her cry to be healed.
Blessed are those who hear the story behind the belief,
who close their own mouth to listen to the heart of another,
who see not through the cracked lens of judgement,
but behold with eyes of compassion and understanding.

Blessed are you, Lord, for you hear every voice
and see beyond the surface
to the very heart of it all.
Blessed are you, Lord, for you are
the Deep calling to deep.

Blessed are those who hear God’s voice
and respond simply, “Here I am, Lord; here I am.”

In that spirit today, Lord, I give you
this offering: my eyes, my ears,
my available presence, my entire being,
open and receptive—
body, soul and spirit.

Amen.


No comments: