Tuesday, May 29, 2018

questions

In my work as a pastor, I often wonder: “What’s it all about, anyway? Does the church still matter? If so, why? To what end do we serve? If this strange community called ‘the church’ is to be any earthly good, what kinds of questions might be crucial for us to consider?”

Below, I offer some initial thoughts on this by way of posing some questions. Maybe something in here will inspire my fellow Christians to go deeper in our experience of faith. The questions I’ve thought of so far are:

What is our pattern of living? How are we attuning our steps to God’s rhythms?

What new work is God already doing in which we can participate gratefully?

How are we being sent-to-be-present?

How am I being a good listener and a good neighbor?

How am I practicing hospitality? How am I practicing gratitude?

How might God use me to invite others to follow Jesus?

With whom do I share genuine spiritual companionship? How are we being family to one another?

How are we demonstrating the ministry of reconciliation?

How am I allowing children to help me be a child-at-heart? How am I creating a welcome place in my heart for my own weakness and the weaknesses of others? How am I practicing playfulness?

How am I learning from others who have gained hard-earned wisdom?

How are we worshipping collectively and personally?

How are we feeding on God’s Word and praying?

In what ways am I dying to sin, walking in the power of the Spirit and bearing the fruit of the Spirit? How are we doing this collectively?

How may my sexuality serve as an image of God’s pleasure, goodness and freedom?

How are we embodying the Lord’s Prayer in our everyday life?

How is our intellectual life being sanctified; what do we believe and what are we learning about God, Church and world?

How are my words being sanctified? Do I practice silence regularly?

How do I just let myself be loved by God? Am I able to just rest? Is it hard for me to receive grace?

How is God making me a servant?

Do I know how God has gifted me to bless the Church and be a redemptive presence in the world?

Do I know I have the capacity to be an Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Shepherd, or Teacher? If so, how do I exercise my gifts? (See Ephesians 4:11-13)

How am I exercising creativity and generosity?

How are we caring for “the least of these” and working for justice?

How am I caring for creation, including my own body?

How are we being blessed by (and blessing) the nations?

How are we being formed to resemble Jesus?

…………..

I wonder, which question is most important for you right now?



No comments: