Saturday, July 10, 2010

one firefly

Every day’s events are worth noting, no matter how mundane they may seem.

I have seen fireflies before this night. I remember catching them when I was a child, trying to see how many of them I could capture in my old empty jelly jar. Tonight I did not have a jar with me on my walk and I only saw one for the briefest of moments. A small flash of light directly in front of me and then it was gone.

The smallest light has the capacity to make a disproportionate impression on one’s soul, especially when the light emanates from a living thing. This particular flash drew my attention to the left where my eye caught three people walking.

Would all flashes of light direct our attention to others. And say a short blessing, in keeping with the solitary firefly. Then, return home to rest.

That, I think, is worth noting today.

No comments: