Tuesday, January 4, 2011

4 things king david told himself

I was looking for something in my desk drawer today when I came across some notes I had scribbled on a piece of paper awhile ago. I can't remember the occasion, nor how long ago I wrote the notes, nor the person they came from, but I found them to be poignant for me today.

The notes came from a teaching I heard concerning King David and the Psalms. The teacher pointed out that David often used the music he wrote to remind himself of some important truths about God. David would find himself in some sticky situations, so he kind of "preached to himself." That's the way I put it in the notes...

Specifically, he would speak to himself of these four truths:

"My God reigns."
"My God forgives."
"My God cares."
and
"My God is faithful."

As I look at this list, I resonate most right now with the first: "My God reigns." I need to remind myself that God is in control and he is able to take care of all our needs. I suppose that the messages "My God cares" and "My God is faithful" also reflect that notion, but there's something about God's sovereignty right now that's particularly comforting because I don't know how things are going to develop this year.

If you had to pick from one of these four, which one would you say is most meaningful to you right now? Feel free to share why...

2 comments:

Kelly J said...

Thanks for this, Troy. For the past month, Paul and I keep saying to each other "God knew that this was going to happen." For some reason, that simple fact holds it together for me a little. He does reign. And he knows.

Troy said...

Thanks for commenting, Kelly! I'm glad it spoke to you...

It's so good to hear how you're holding out hope in the midst of some unpredictable stuff, friend.

Love you,
Troy