Wednesday, June 8, 2011

trifles

We cannot seek God’s kingdom and our kingdom at the same time. When we seek our kingdom we serve only self. When we seek God’s kingdom we serve him by serving others.

Do I spend most of my time scheming how I may build career, reputation and notoriety? Shouldn’t I rather pour my heart into proclaiming God’s intrinsic fame? He alone deserves all praise. He alone created all things from nothing. He is the source of all good gifts. He holds all things together and grants breath for each moment. So why do I live out the better part of my days acting as if my life is merely mine?

Let us not trouble ourselves with trifles such as image, fame and credit. After all, these are passing fancies whose rewards fade quickly. Like a drug we then demand newer and greater doses. Before long, we have become addicted, “slave and master at the same damn time”. (I hope that word does not cause you offense; I use it in the classical sense).

There is only one way out of this predicament for either we are living for self or we are living for God. Lest you think there is a third option by way of “living for others” keep in mind that to live for others puts your feet on the path of living for God for such a road is God’s way.

Either we serve or we are served. May the reception of the latter flow out continuously towards the former. “Seek first the kingdom of God” and God will take care of the rest.

No comments: