Thursday, September 1, 2011

laughing and vacuuming

We were cleaning the house today in preparation for a special visitor from out of town and I enlisted the slaves kids to help.

As I was mopping one room, Nicolas vacuumed another but he didn’t complain one bit. In fact, quite the opposite: as he vacuumed he told jokes to himself and sang various happy songs. Every once in a while, I’d hear him bust a gut with laughter. When the laughter subsided, he’d continue talking to himself or singing.

In parenting our children, we don’t always get our job right but in times like this I just had to smile knowing my 11-year old son had learned to find joy in his work. Truth be told, many adults would do well to learn that lesson, myself included. Thanks, Nic, for being such a good example.

No comments: