Sunday, January 14, 2018

mourning prayer

It is MLK Day tomorrow so the theme of mourning is appropriate today. Before we can heal injustice, we must see that there is injustice. Having seen it, we must also mourn it, because God mourns it. Prophets know how to mourn; they know how to gather our collective mourning and, in time, turn it into courageous, compassionate action. My prayer this morning is based on Lamentations 3:19-30, a text that shows us how to mourn. -Troy
………………………….

God of Hope,
Your compassions never fail;
because of your great love we are not consumed. 
You are our creator, redeemer, and sustainer—
the Lover of our souls.

I give you my life.
I give you my heart.
I give you my soul.

Strengthen us so that
when the darkness closes in
and when our spirit is overwhelmed
we would hide our hearts in you.
Help us to wait quietly for you,
to put all our hope in you.
Grant us strength in long-suffering
as we sit in silence and mourn,
knowing that you are with us,
holding us in our weeping,
weeping with us, weeping with us in love.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.


No comments: