Thursday, September 13, 2018

for Jenny

while I sit at my desk working
I have a few moments to create
this just-for-the-fun-of-it poem

the leaves out front
barely disturbed by the wind,
each face kissed by the
late morning sunlight

last night I was a failure
but this morning
our tall friend
from long ago
and far away
sits out on our front porch
in our rocking chair
making herself at home
while I work
on the other side of the window
within easy eyeshot
as I glance to the right.

all at once she is our sister
and our daughter

Heather and I call her
“our Jenny”
with hearts softened
by the mere thought of her

and I am a leaf
on God’s great tree
barely disturbed
after last night’s fall
my soul kissed
by God’s grace
in the face of our Jenny.

…………..

for Jenny
by Troy Cady
with warm, friendly affection
September 13, 2018


No comments: